|This page is currently undergoing maintenance. This may be due to out of date information or new information detailing from an upcoming or newly released game. Therefore, please excuse its incomplete and informal current state.|
In most titles, Star Fox teammates will act on their own in shooting down any enemies and will automatically act in scripted game moments. If enemies are shot down by them, Hit Points will be denied, which can be a drawback if the player desires a Medal. In turn, if the player (Fox) shoots down any of their targets they will react in annoyance.
In the original game, the teammates who fly with Fox are Falco, Peppy and Slippy. Because the Great Fox does not exist in the series yet, teammates who run out of health are actually permanently shot down and remain inactive for the rest of the play through.
- Falco is an aggressive fighter who knocks many fighters out of the sky, while making snide gestures at Fox, even when being rescued by him such as: "Mind your own business, Fox!".
- Peppy tends to give out useful piloting tips as well as how to beat the stage bosses. In contrast to later games, he has no connection to Fox's father.
- Slippy tended to get himself chased by the enemy more often than the other two pilots, and had a croaking verbal tic that was removed in later appearances. He will tell Fox not to be so greedy when his targets are shot down for him.
- “[...]"We need the Star Fox Team!!"
This is the call sent out by General Pepper. You are Fox McCloud, leader of the Star Fox team, a group of adventurers with outstanding combat skill. Your mission is to penetrate the defenses of the planet Venom and defeat the forces led by Emperor Andross. Your ability to maneuver the ARWING fighter will make the difference between the return of peace to the Lylat system and the fall of Corneria to the evil Emperor. As a team leader, you are also responsible for the safe return of your Star Fox teammates.”
- —Star Fox; Instruction manual, pg 3
In Star Fox 64, Falco, Peppy and Slippy return with roles almost identical to the original title's. Teammates this time can take damage from the player's firepower. Unlike before, if a teammate's Shield Gauge runs out, they will not be destroyed, but will be forced to retreat back the Great Fox and will remain inactive until two levels later. If they retreat, their skills will be lost until they return. If enough Hit points are acquired and all three teammates make it through the mission, a Cornerian Air Force Medal of valour will be awarded, which if all are collected, will unlock new features.
- Falco is almost identical to his debut where he is more skilled at taking down fighters. His role is greatly expanded as he know is able to find route that lead to select locations in the Lylat System. Falco's activity on the 1st Mission is essential for reaching Sector Y, for saving him from three tailing fighters after the checkpoint and flying through all seven stone arches will allow the flight path to reach Sector Y and following Missions.
- Peppy was a member of the original Star Fox team, with leader James McCloud and wingmate Pigma Dengar. After Pigma's betrayal and James' capture, Peppy narrowly escapes to return to Corneria to inform Fox McCloud of his father's fate. Ever since then, Peppy serves as Fox's mentor and frequently acts exactly like before where he provides flying hints and info on how to take down Andross's lieutenants.
- Slippy now scans the stage boss and provides a Shield Gauge known as a bossometer, which detects the life force of the boss to allow knowledge on how close the boss is to defeat. With help from Slippy's father, Beltino Toad, they have invented and constructed many inventions for the team, including the Arwing, Blue Marine, Landmaster and Great Fox.
- ROB 64 is hardwired into the main computer and offers aid when necessary. At select moments on some Missions, ROB will make contact with Fox using the C>>> icon. Responding to the call will give ROB the order to dispatch a Supply Container or provide cover fire with Great Fox's guns. But if the call is not respond, he will not act.
- James McCloud was the founder of the Star Fox team. On a scouting mission to Venom, he and Peppy were betrayed by Pigma Dengar and captured by the evil Andross, but James apparently caused a way for Peppy to escape leaving his true fate ambiguous. While James has been presumed dead at the hands of Andross by most sources, this was never proven.
- Pigma Dengar was one of the original members of the Star Fox team, until he betrayed the team to help Andross, later joining up with the rivalling Star Wolf team. In battle, Pigma flies after Peppy while taunting him about being "old pals".
- Bill Grey is commander of the Bulldog and Husky squadrons, therefore he is not an official member of Star Fox, but he has gone out of his way to assist his classmate Fox after their reunion on Katina.
- Katt Monroe is not an official member of Star Fox, but for the sake of her crush and history with Falco, whenever routes are taken to Zoness she'll lend a blaster when it suits her. Evident in her Star Fox Command piloting biography, she secretly wants to join the team just to allow her to fly with him.
In Adventures, since Tricky becomes Fox's sidekick in the game, Peppy and Slippy remain on the Great Fox and only help Fox when he contacts them with the START button and opens his communicator.
- On the surface of Dinosaur Planet, Prince Tricky will accompany Fox almost everywhere he goes, offering useful Sidekick skills to aid Fox in his expedition. Before they part ways, Fox cites that without Tricky's help, the mission would have failed. In gratitude for his tremendous help, Fox makes Tricky an honorary member of the Star Fox team.
- Slippy now gives Fox advice on how to continue his expedition, but will simply tell him to check out Peppy's Dinosaur Planet Atlas when the time has come to reach a new destination.
- Peppy will provide a world map of Dinosaur Planet, indicating Fox's current position, where he needs to go next and information about the area. However, if Fox isn't finished in the are yet, Peppy will suggest contacting Slippy.
- General Pepper will display the mission status, including how many important items, techniques and SideKick Commands he has collected.
- Appearing only at the end of the game, Falco will arrive halfway through the final boss battle and drop Containers of Smart Bombs to help clear the boss.
- Krystal is the sole playable character at the beginning of Star Fox Adventures, where in search of answers to her planet's destruction, and the death of her parents, she comes across a distress signal from Dinosaur Planet. She is shown to be capable of ground based missions and even has the ability to channel the ancient Krazoa power, evidently when returning a Spirit to Krazoa Palace.
- “Eight years have passed since Andross was finally overthrown by the daring Star Fox team. Following the celebrations, Fox McCloud and friends returned to the only life they knew - an endless patrol of the Lylat system, guarding against ongoing threats to their territory.
Boredom soon struck, causing Fox's close friend Falco Lombardi to simply disappear, leaving only rumour to suggest that his lone-wolf nature had finally led him to pursue a more free and profitable life.
Then Slippy Toad traded his pilot's wings for a place in Weapons R&D, demonstration a natural flair for invention, while Fox's old friend and mentor Peppy Hare retired from active flight duty to concentrate on a role as a navigator and general adviser.
The Great Fox itself had also seen better days. Keeping a ship of that size in prime condition cost serious money, and well-paid jobs for fighter pilots and mercenaries were increasingly difficult to come by.
So it was that Fox and co. found themselves drifting through the galaxy, waiting and hoping for General Pepper's hologram to pop up with just the kind of high-stakes, high-reward mission that they might need…”
- —Star Fox Adventures; Instruction Booklet
In Assault, members of the team are now invincible until scripted points where the player must assist them. However, the allies who participate on the ground can be harmed, but will not die. When a teammate is rescued from tailing enemies, they will fly by Fox and leave an item to help him to return the favour. Falco will drop a Smart Bomb while Slippy and Krystal will drop silver Supply Rings.
- Falco and Slippy's roles are identical to the ones they had in Star Fox 64. Falco never once leaves his Arwing in the Main Game, dropping behind Smart Bombs for answering his S.O.S., making him the only ally to do so. Slippy will join Fox on foot in Mission 3, while dropping Supply rings in gratitude for answering his S.O.S. calls.
- Krystal is now a full-time member of the Star Fox team, essentially filling the pilot gap left by Peppy's retirement and will sense enemy movement, giving fair warnings of formation position and attacks, as well as advice on how to defeat enemies and bosses. Like Slippy, she will usually leave Supply rings if Fox prevents her from retreating. Krystal will join Fox on foot during Missions 6 and 9, proving herself as a skilled combatant on the ground.
At the end of a Mission, the status of the teammates will recorded on the results screen. If no allies retreated, an Ally Medal will be awarded. Collecting all 10 Ally Medals in the Main Game will unlock Wolf in the Versus Mode.
Game's rear cover
- “ALL SHIPS, REPORT IN!
One year has passed since disaster was averted on Sauria, and Andross's armies have been almost eradicated... but now a new threat has risen from the darkness of space. The aparoids, creatures bent on assimilating all beasts and machines into their corrupted hive mind, are spreading relentlessly, and Team Star Fox is the only thing standing between them and the utter ruin of the Lylat system.”
- —Game's rear cover
In Command, all characters now take turns depending on movements made on the tactics map, and will act on their own battles. Different characters pilot their own different ships, but can only take part in their own battles with the exception of bosses, where pilots can be chosen.
Fox Stands Alone...
- “In days gone by, the burning desire of Dr. Andross to rule the Lylat system filled the galaxy with the chaos of war. The mad ape sent out wave after wave of armies from his stronghold on the planet Venom, and used unique forms of radiation to create horrible monsters and terrible soldiers. His ambition swept this army across the galaxy too the planet Corneria.
It was there, however, that a quartet of mercenaries known as Star Fox put an end to the threat, and the leader of the team, Fox McCloud, defeated Andross in single combat.
In the years that followed, Venom was designated a forbidden planet and placed under the rigorous watch of Cornerian forces. All was going well until a mysterious army suddenly sprung forth from the toxic seas of the the planet. Controlled by a mysterious leader called the Anglar Emperor, this new threat cuts through the Lylat system like a scythe through ripe wheat. The unexpected attack once again places the peoples, cities, and culture of the Lylat system in dire peril.
But much to the shock and dismay of the Lylat people, the members of Star Fox have gone their separate ways... leaving Fox McCloud as the lone obstacle in the Anglar army's path. Despite the odds, Fox heroically launches himself into the fray. But can he survive without the aid of his former teammates?”
- —Instruction Booklet
- Amanda is Slippy's fiancée, who occasionally helps the team out in various missions, and pilots the Tadpole, a ship armed with a multi-lock. She considers herself more of the leader in her relationship with Slippy, and always wants to be on his side during a fight. In two endings, she and Slippy settle down with children, one of whom joins Fox and Krystal's son, Marcus McCloud, as well as Peppy's granddaughter and Falco Lombardi himself in forming a new Star Fox team. In another ending, she herself joins the Star Fox team to be close to Slippy.
- Lucy Hare is Peppy and Vivian Hare only known daughter, who appeared in some missions, she fights the Anglar attackers in her aircraft, the Sky Bunny, armed with plasma lasers and a single lock. While she does not formally enter the team, one of the endings shows that Peppy's granddaughter (presumably her own daughter) becomes a member of the new Star Fox team, led by Marcus McCloud.
At some point, the Fox and Krystal had Marcus. When he is old enough, Marcus enrolls in the Cornerian Academy, intending to follow in his father's footsteps. Marcus soon proves that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree during his training. His flying skill, a gift passed down through his family, is considered "unbelievable". He later starts up his own Star Fox team by recruiting Slippy's son, Peppy's granddaughter and Falco (possibly playing the role that Peppy did in Star Fox Assault)
The team roles in the 3DS version of Star Fox 64 are identical to the N64 game.
Due to the changes in controls, the contacts made by ROB, will now need to be answered by the Touch Screen.
Falco, Peppy and Slippy return and fill the roles they previously held in the other games. This time they are more proactive in taking down enemies and can help reduce numbers in areas like the third phase on Corneria.
Team Star Fox
- “A legendary team of adventurers-for-hire that has often defended the Lylat System in times of peril. Founded by James McCloud, the leadership passed to his son, Fox, after his apparent death.”
- —Star Fox Zero.com
The Star Fox team made up of Fox, Falco, Peppy, Slippy and adding Miyu and Fay, all-together take on the mission to protect Corneria against colossal damage from a vengeful attack made by Andross, having survived the previous defeat.
At the beginning of a round of gameplay, the player will need to select a team of two pilots. The selected characters pilot their own versions of Arwings, which can be alternated between turns.
In Super Smash Bros. Melee, the Adventure Mode's Corneria stage will consist of two phases: After Fox is KO'd, a cutscene will be triggered to indicate the arrival of an Arwing trio consisting of Peppy, Slippy and either Falco or Fox. The Arwings intend to aid the fallen Star Fox character and therefore up the stakes by firing down on the stage to try and take out the player faster.
- NINTENDO POWER Star Fox 64: Official Nintendo Player's Guide. Redmond, WA, Nintendo of America. 1997.
- Star Fox 1993 Instruction Manual
- Star Fox Adventures (Instruction booklet)
- Star Fox Assault (Instruction booklet)
- Star Fox Command (Instruction booklet)
|Star Fox Team|
|Leader(s)||James McCloud • Fox McCloud|
|All Games||Falco Lombardi • Peppy Hare • Slippy Toad|
|1997 / 2016||ROB 64 • Bill Grey • Katt Monroe • Pigma Dengar • Direct-i|
|2002-2006||Krystal • Lucy Hare • Amanda • Tricky • Free-As-A-Bird|
|2017||Miyu • Fay|
|Other||Marcus • Slippy's son • Peppy's granddaughter • Fara Phoenix • Saru|
|Vehicles||Arwing • Landmaster • Blue-Marine • Great Fox • Walker • Gyrowing • Roadmaster|
|Other Vehicles||Arwing II • Sky Claw • Bullfrog • Cloud Runner • Sky Bunny • Tadpole • Catspaw • Cat's Paw 2 • Great Fox II • Armoured Arwing • Light Arwing • Mothership|
|Main Characters||Fox McCloud • Falco Lombardi • Peppy Hare • Slippy Toad • General Pepper • Andross|
|Bosses||Attack Carrier • Destructor • Rock Crusher • Slot Machine • Blade Barrier • Atomic Base • Monarch Dodora • Dancing Insector • Professor Hanger • Plasma Hydra • Spinning Core • Phantron • Metal Smasher • Galactic Rider • Great Commander • Andross|
|Locations||Corneria • Asteroid • Black Hole • Out of This Dimension • Sector X • Space Armada • Titania • Fortuna • Meteor • Sector Y • Sector Z • Macbeth • Venom|
|Navigation||Plot • Missions • Gallery • Videos • Script|
|Star Fox: Assault|
|Main Characters||Fox McCloud • Falco Lombardi • Slippy Toad • Krystal • Peppy Hare • ROB 64 • General Pepper • Beltino Toad • Andrew Oikonny • Pigma Dengar • Wolf O'Donnell • Leon Powalski • Panther Caroso • Tricky|
|Bosses||Oikonny's flagship • Winged Aparoid • Aparoid Ship • Star Wolf (Wolf, Leon and Panther) • Cylindrical Aparoid • Aparoid Pigma • Aparoid Missile • Aparoid Queen|
|Enemies||Rock Gunner • Star Warrior • Venomian Carrier • Venomian Light Tank • Venomian Heavy Tank • Venomian Heavy Assault Mech • Sargasso Battleship Aparoid Crawler • Aparoid Minitank • Purple Aparoid • Aparoid hatcher • Spherical Tank Aparoid • Aparoid Flyer • Aparoid Stinger • Aparoid Mortar • Aparoid Roller • Silver Aparoid • Beetle Aparoid • Bloated Aparoid|
|Locations||Fortuna • Katina • Sargasso Space Zone • Fichina • Asteroid Belt • Sauria • Corneria • Orbital Gate • Aparoid Homeworld • Titania • Zoness|
|Navigation||Plot • Missions • Gallery • Videos • Script|
|Star Fox Command|
|Main Characters||Fox McCloud • Falco Lombardi • Slippy Toad • Krystal • ROB 64 • Peppy Hare • Katt Monroe • Bill Grey • Lucy Hare • Amanda • Dash Bowman • James McCloud • Wolf O'Donnell • Leon Powalski • Panther Caroso • Anglar Emperor|
|Supporting Characters||Beltino Toad • Vivian Hare • Zako • Zazan • Zoldge • Octoman • Pigma Dengar • Andrew Oikonny • General Pepper • Andross|
|Bosses||ZaZanga 9 • Splitter • Devil Shark • Octopod • Biobrain • Star Wolf (Wolf, Panther and Leon) • Death Crab • Pigma Dengar • Solar Satellite • Killer Bee • Dune Worm • Monarch Dodora • Grunner • Arrow Head • Anglar Emperor|
|Enemies||Anglar Starfish • Elite Fighter|
|Locations||Corneria • Aquas • Asteroid Belt • Fichina • Katina • Sector X • Sector Y • Sector Z • Solar • Titania • Venom|
|Navigation||Plot • Missions • Gallery • Videos • Script|