- “Topple the Purple Aparoids:
You'll need to occupy yourself with the smaller Aparoids and a few minitanks until two large purple aliens appear near the eastern cargo hold. The big creatures are immune to quick blaster shots and machine-gun spray, so fully charge the blaster before unloading into their faces. Each will drop a Homing Launcher; you can use that weapon to nail the beasts.”
- “The Blaster's/Machine Gun's not working on that enemy!”
Purple Aparoids are an improvement over smaller Aparoid units, and somewhat bigger than Fox McCloud that act like mortars in "Assault".
These Aparoid units have four legs and are protected by a hexagonal barrier that renders Machine gun and standard Blaster fire useless. However, the Blaster's charged shots still damage the creature. All other weapons can damage a Purple Aparoid. The Aparoid will patrol a set area nd is often accompanied by inferior Aparoid soldiers.
Methods of Attack
It fires small blue orbs of energy that explode upon impacting a surface, be it the ground, a wall, or a creature.
On Easy, a Purple Aparoid can be killed with a level 2 charge shot or a single shot from the Homing launcher. On higher difficulties though, it takes a level 3 charged shot or 2 homing launcher shots to bring one down. Lower charge levels still damage the creature though.
Purple Aparoid were active throughut the majority of the Aparoid Invasion, especially prominent at the battle of Katina, where they were the Star Fox Team's main target priorities, until the Aparoid Hatchers arrived on the scene. Their condsiderable difficulty in battle caused Fox to summon down a Landmaster after destroying just two Aparoids.
- Larger, missile firing variants are found on the Aparoid Homeworld. These variants boast even higher defences in defence of their homeworld, making them harder the destroy compared to ones encountered earlier (also likely for gameplay reasons).
- This creature resembles the Protoss Dragoon unit in StarCraft, a popular RTS game. This is because they both have four legs and both fire blue energy orbs.
- Star Fox Assault; Nintendo Power's Official Player's Guide; Nintendo of America Inc, 4820 150th Ave NE, Redmond, Washington 98052; (C) 2004-2005 Nintendo
|Leaders||Winged Aparoid | Aparoid Ship | Cylindrical Aparoid | Aparoid Missile | Aparoid Queen|
|Air Force||Aparoid Flyer | Beetle Aparoid | Mothlike Aparoid | Aparoid Assault Ship | Radar jammer | Aparoid Spinner | Kamikaze Aparoid | Morphing Ship Aparoid | Crystalline Aparoid | Stringy Aparoid | Bloated Aparoid | Glowing Sac Aparoid | Tri-winged Aparoid | Y-shape Aparoid | Electric Sphere Aparoid|
|Ground Force||Aparoid Crawler | Aparoid Minitank | Purple Aparoid | Aparoid Hatcher | Spherical Tank Aparoid | Aparoid Roller | Aparoid Targeting Laser | Aparoid Gunner | Anti-aircraft Aparoid | Aparoid Growth | Force Field Generator Aparoid | Aparoid Turret | Blue Orb Aparoid | Swirling Aparoid | Silver Aparoid | Aparoid Larvae|
|Others||Sentry Bot | General's flagship | Core Memory|