A Pilot is normally an aircraft pilot or aviator, which is a person who actively and directly operates the directional flight controls of an aircraft while it is in flight. In the Star Fox series, pilots can be controlled outside of their vehicles depending on the game, but can only be played as within an All-Range Mode area that has ground.
In the games
- “Once you earn medals in every mission playing in Expert Mode, you will be able to use Rocket Launchers in VS. Mode. ”
- —Star Fox 64.com
After gaining every medal in Expert Mode, the four Star Fox team pilots can be used in Versus Mode as playable characters, except in the Sector Z stage because it is a space quadrant with no ground. Pilots are selected before the match starts or a player is downed by pressing the top C button which is marked by a fox head. Pilots are very slow and easily targeted compared to the Arwings and Landmasters, armed with large, shoulder mounted "Rocket Launcher" blasters, controlled and looking similar to the Homing Launcher and Plasma Cannons in Assault. The pilots are controlled by holding down the R button to run, pressing the A button to shoot, B to launch a Smart Bomb and Z to jump. Pilots cannot charge or lock-on their laser, but can still pick up Laser Upgrades and launch Smart Bombs. Laser upgrades will give the player's laser twin spiralling bolts like the Landmaster's.
Like the communications channel and radar, characters are colour coded by their ammunition to tell their shots apart. They are controlled by whichever player has the following controller in the Nintendo 64's console socket:
|Player 1.||Fox McCloud||Yellow|
|Player 2.||Peppy Hare||Red|
|Player 3.||Slippy Toad||Green|
|Player 4.||Falco Lombardi||Blue|
Fly / Drive
- “Once certain conditions have been met you'll also be able to select a Landmaster tank and a hologram of yourself armed with a bazooka!”
- —Official Nintendo Power Player's Guide, pg 114
Fox Vs. Falco Vs. Peppy Vs. Slippy
- “You can also earn medals in the expert missions, giving first-class pilots some fresh challenges. If you collect another full se of medals, you'll enable one last special feature: the ability to select Star Fox team members in Vs. Mode. Along with spaceships and tanks, you'll be able to pit bazooka-toting animals against each other in combat!”
- —Official Nintendo Power Player's Guide, pg 120
Note that the gameplay statistics, including running speed and jumping is not affected by the chosen character.
In Adventures, gameplay is mostly restricted to outside of the Arwing, likely because of the game being an adaptation of Rare's Dinosaur Planet. Fox remains on foot unless needing to travel to other lands in orbit by Arwing or riding a certain dinosaur or vehicle.
- “Stages where you control Fox and move around a contained area are all-range stages. You clear these stages by destroying a set number of targets. You can also pilot Arwings and drive Landmasters on some all-range stages. When you change weapons in Pilot Mode, the name of the new weapon is displayed.”
- —Star Fox: Assault; Instruction Booklet
Similar to both Star Fox 64 and Adventures, Assault features third person stages in both Single Player and Versus Modes, depending on the mission or stage. With the exceptions of Missions 1, 5, 8 and 10, all stages use ground based gameplay. Pilots are controlled like before, but now feature unique skills on certain categories unlike previous games such as running speed and jumping height. Vehicle management comes into effect in both single and versus modes where situations will require characters to proceed on foot if places that are too small for vehicles are near to enter. Every pilot can pick up and use the various weapons on the ground using the cursor aim like the Landmaster, while each pilot has the standard Blaster as their default weapon as it is impossible for a pilot to be unarmed. Pilots can enter and exit vehicles to fit situations and will be forced to continue on foot if their vehicle is downed, but can be KO'd inside a vehicle if there is not ground or enough damage has been done to the pilot's health gauge. Pilots can use Rolling like a barrel roll but will only dodge attacks rather than shielding them.
|Slippy Toad||★★★★||★★||★★★★||★★||★★★★★||★★★||Charge Speed X2|
|Peppy Hare||★★||★||★★★★★||★★★||★★★||★★★★||Charge Speed X4|
|Wolf O'Donnell||★★★★★||★★★★★||★★★||★★★★★ (Wolfen)||★★||★★★||N/A|
- No character in Assault's Versus Mode has a below 3 star Jump or Pilot skill, or below 2 star Arwing skill.
- The Super Smash Bros. series uses its playable characters in an identical manner to pilots, in that they are characters fighting outside of vehicles, although it is 2-D side-scrolling rather than third-person gameplay.
- Star Fox 64 3D does not include the option to play as pilots in its Versus Mode making the pilot mode the only manner of playability not to return.
- The Nintendo Power Star Fox 64 guide implies that the characters are holograms of themselves.
- NINTENDO POWER Star Fox 64: Official Nintendo Player's Guide. Redmond, WA, Nintendo of America. 1997.
- Star Fox: Assault; Instruction Booklet
|Main Characters||Fox McCloud • Krystal • Prince Tricky • Falco Lombardi • Peppy Hare • Slippy Toad • General Pepper • General Scales • Andross|
|Supporting Characters||ThornTail Tribe • EarthWalker Tribe • CloudRunner Tribe • SnowHorn Tribe • HighTop Tribe • LightFoot Tribe • SharpClaw Tribe • RedEye Tribe • Gradabug • ShopKeeper • MuscleFoot • Krazoa Spirits • Krazoa God|
|Bosses||Galdon • King RedEye • Drakor • General Scales • Andross|
|Enemies||SharpClaw • ShadowHunter • RedEye • EggSnatcher • BribeClaw • Snipluk • Kalda Chom • Brain Squid • PopTop • MushGus • Snaplak • Kooshy • Asteroid • Peeper • Bloop • FireBat • FireCrawler • Sentinel • Sentry • SharpClaw • Spore Pod • Venus Foxtrap|
|Locations||Sauria • Krazoa Palace • ThornTail Hollow • Ice Mountain • SnowHorn Wastes • DarkIce Mines • Volcano Force Point Temple • Moon Mountain Pass • Cape Claw • CloudRunner Fortress • Ocean Force Point Temple • LightFoot Village • Walled City • Dragon Rock|
|Navigation||Plot • Gallery • Videos • Script|
|Main Characters||Fox McCloud • Falco Lombardi • Slippy Toad • Krystal • Peppy Hare • ROB 64 • General Pepper • Beltino Toad • Andrew Oikonny • Pigma Dengar • Wolf O'Donnell • Leon Powalski • Panther Caroso • Tricky|
|Bosses||Oikonny's flagship • Winged Aparoid • Aparoid Ship • Star Wolf (Wolf, Leon and Panther) • Cylindrical Aparoid • Aparoid Pigma • Aparoid Missile • Aparoid Queen|
|Enemies||Rock Gunner • Star Warrior • Venomian Carrier • Venomian Light Tank • Venomian Heavy Tank • Venomian Heavy Assault Mech • Sargasso Battleship Aparoid Crawler • Aparoid Minitank • Purple Aparoid • Aparoid hatcher • Spherical Tank Aparoid • Aparoid Flyer • Aparoid Stinger • Aparoid Mortar • Aparoid Roller • Silver Aparoid • Beetle Aparoid • Bloated Aparoid|
|Locations||Fortuna • Katina • Sargasso Space Zone • Fichina • Asteroid Belt • Sauria • Corneria • Orbital Gate • Aparoid Homeworld • Titania • Zoness|
|Navigation||Plot • Missions • Gallery • Videos • Script|