- “Annoying bird! I am the great Leon!”
- —Leon Powalski to Falco Lombardi
Leon's past is unknown, but he most likely had some past rivalry with Falco Lombardi and somewhat Slippy Toad, whom he mainly concentrates on during dogfights. When Star Wolf was initially formed as a group of elite evil pilots to defend the key routes to Venom after being funded and equipped by Andross, Wolf teamed up with Pigma Dengar, Andross's nephew, Andrew Oikonny, and found the mysterious Leon Powalski in a rough bar on Venom, where Leon was hired because of his delight in torturing opponents before destroying them.
Battle of Fichina
Leon, upon Star Wolf's arrival shortly after Fox discovered that Andross's Army set up a bomb inside the Fichina Outpost, revealed that Andross sent them to kill the Star Fox team. He focuses on fighting Falco, and expresses irritation at the bird, declaring that he is the "Great Leon." When he is shot down, he is in disbelief that such a thing could happen to him.
Battle on Bolse
Star Wolf was ordered to stop Star Fox from destroying Bolse. Leon, upon arrival, reveals his love of torture, as he deeply considers torturing the Star Fox team for a while. He continues to focus on Falco until he is shot down.
Battle of Venom
In the Cornerian invasion of Venom, Star Wolf was ordered to protect Andross's palace. Leon suffered damage to his right eye, and has to wear a bionic eye until it heals. Upon arrival, he wonders whether the Star Fox team will be able to handle their new Wolfen IIs. He expresses shock at Fox's skill when he is shot down.
Like the others, Leon survived, and apparently recovered from all his injuries.
Leon reappeared during the Aparoid Invasion, serving the same role he had in the Lylat Wars and likewise was the only original Star Wolf member on Star Wolf besides Wolf himself. His rivalry with Falco seems to have grown more tense, as the two make snide remarks about each other (even while Star Wolf is helping Star Fox defeat the Aparoids). It is revealed that Leon specializes in killing, as he is called an "assassin" in the instruction booklet and a "killer" in official artwork. Leon also appears to show sympathy for other reptilian or amphibious creatures (like Slippy).
Having survived the destruction of the Aparoid Homeworld, Leon is still a loyal member to Star Wolf, and he along with the other members have taken a more evil turn, as they are wanted across the Galaxy. Ironically, even though Leon is the "assassin" of the group, his bounty is at the lowest, being wanted for only S$10,000. In this game, Leon pilots his own ship, the Rainbow Delta. Also, despite him having quite a slow and relatively deep voice in previous games, his voice in the game's Lylat Language is high-pitched and extremely fast.
- His name could be a reference to Leon Kowalski, a character in the film Blade Runner.
- In Star Fox 64, the quote "Annoying bird! I am the great Leon!" has been made into an internet meme on YouTube.
- Also, in Assault, Leon's opening statement is "Ha ha! I think I'll torment you a bit before I cook you!" which resembles his opening statement, "I think I'll torture you for a while!" when fighting Star Wolf on Bolse during Star Fox 64.
- Leon is the only Star Wolf member in Zero who does not have a secret battle, thus his personal sub-weapon remains unknown.
Names in Other Languages
|Japanese||レオン・ポワルスキー (Reon Powarusukī)|
|Korean||레온 포왈스키 (Leon Powalseuki)|
|Russian||Леон Повальски (Lyeon Povaliski)|
- NINTENDO POWER Star Fox 64: Official Nintendo Player's Guide. Redmond, WA, Nintendo of America. 1997.
- Star Fox Assault; Instruction Booklet
|All Games||Wolf O'Donnell • Leon Powalski • Pigma Dengar • Andrew Oikonny|
|2005-2006||Panther Caroso • Krystal • Ruffian|
|Vehicles||Wolfen • Wolfen II • Hunter • Rainbow Delta • Black Rose • Pigma's ship|