Harlock-class Frigates were a class of frigates manufactured and assembled in the weapons labs on Macbeth and used by the Venom Air Defense Zone during the Lylat Wars.
Sleek, fast and deadly, the Harlock design used numerous Turbo Lasers to give it the punch of a much larger warship. However, protection was sacrificed for speed and offensive punch, allowing even starfighters to destroy these ships with their laser cannons. The Harlocks also adorned a jolly roger symbol on the front.
- “Harlock-class assault frigates are sleek, fast and deadly. Their numerous turbo lasers give them the firepower of much larger ships, but if you penetrate their defenses, you can take the out. The ship's designers sacrificed significant amounts of armor plating for more speed. Just a few shots from your lasers should penetrate their hulls.”
- —Official Nintendo Power Player's guide, pg 101
- “You may not have many bombs by time you reach this stage, but these high explosives will come in handy to destroy missiles and the ships that link up into one. You can destroy the big cruisers by shooting them in the bridge, but it takes a lot of shots. Be sure to clear their decks of guns before you go after the bridge. Good luck getting this medal; it is one of the toughest in the game!”
- —Star Fox 64.com
Five Harlock-class Frigates fought at the Battle of Area 6 in defense of Venom. The Star Fox Team was able blast through their weak armor plating, which provided even less defense against the powerful hyper laser cannons of Great Fox. Most Harlocks were destroyed in the battle, paving the way for the Star Fox team to invade the planet.
In the games
Star Fox 64/3D
Five Harlock-class Frigates are stationed within the three defensive lines of the Venom air defense zone. Their armor is not invincible but will require constant laser fire to down the ships until the extra Hit Points are awarded. Every Harlock destroyed will give +2 hits. If the C>>> call made by ROB 64 is answered, he will provide cover fire with Great Fox's guns and disable the Harlocks, the Hits will still be awarded even if the call is responded. Clusters of heat-seeking missiles are launched from behind the Harlocks, which cannot be targeted with homing lasers, but can rack up points if they are caught in the blast radius of a charged bolt, which can be achieved if the shot's blast hits a Harlock's hull.
Star Fox Zero
Harlocks return in Star Fox Zero under the name: Colby, this time sporting duo, twin barrel, bow laser cannons. Harlocks even appear on the game's cover artwork.
In Sector α, three of them are targeting the Cornerian ships. If the player can destroy them before they destroy the Cornerian ships, they will end the mission with "Mission Accomplished."
In Sector β, there are four of them the player must destroy. In those four, the Sarumarine captain or the Meteo Crusher pilot, both from Star Fox 64/3D, are piloting them. After destroying all four of them, two more will show up along with the dreadnought tactical destroyer, Granby. Those two do not have to be destroyed.
On Star Fox's return to Corneria to defend General Pepper's tower, there are two at the beginning of the mission and three on Phase 2 of the mission.
- Harlock-class frigates are on the Lylat System map beside the Umbra.
- The Harlock-class frigate shares names with the popular sci-fi manga series Space Pirate Captain Harlock. The frigates even include a jolly roger similar to Captain Harlocks. It is worth noting that the emblem of Andross's Empire in Star Fox Zero is a jolly roger.
- In Sector β, if a Harlock-class frigate is destroyed, the transmission icon will randomly choose the Sarumarine captain or the Meteo Crusher pilot screaming of defeat.
- NINTENDO POWER Star Fox 64: Official Nintendo Player's Guide. Redmond, WA, Nintendo of America. 1997.