Defense Towers were tall, defense outpost security watchtowers developed and assembled in the weapons labs on Macbeth by the forces of Andross, during the Lylat Wars.
Defense Towers are tall, pylons armed with laser cannon turrets and remain stationed in one spot. The towers that are destroyed leave Smart Bombs behind at random, also leaving them floating in midar forcing the Landmaster to use its hover jets to retrive them, putting it at risk from more laser fire.
- “Destroy the defense towers to find bombs at random. You may find five or none! The bombs will be floating up in the air. Use the tank's thrusters (press and hold Z and R) to fly up and retrieve them.”
- —Official Nintendo Power Player's Guide, pg 78
- “At the beginning of this mission, try to knock out as many of the train's cars as possible. You'll also want to take out the elevated guns as they will sometimes yield bombs. The big payoff in terms of hit points comes from shooting the eight switches at the end of the mission. Successfully hitting all of these targets will cause the train to take an incomplete side spur, which will net you 50 bonus points when it derails. The sixth switch is the most commonly overlooked, since it is hidden behind a gate.”
- —Star Fox 64.com Medal Tips
The Venom Army left seven of these towers to guard the train tracks that the Forever Train used to drive back to the weapons factory. However, they failed to prevent the Star Fox Team's intrusion becasue of the small, maneuverable Landmaster. Seemingly the towers attacked the intruding tank at the instruction of the Forever Train's conductor after he spotted the Star Fox team approaching his rear vehicles.
- The automated rail guns appear to be identical the the tower's turrets, the only difference if the rail guns are more mobile.
- NINTENDO POWER Star Fox 64: Official Nintendo Player's Guide. Redmond, WA, Nintendo of America. 1997.