- “The geology of Corneria may not seem like the most exciting topic in the Lylat System, but the porous, volcanic stone of Corneria has shaped the planet's history in many ways. Everywhere you go on the planet, you'll find that caves, tunnels, stone arches and crevices have been carved from the rock by the planet's many streams and rivers. Thoughout history, Cornerians have used these rocky refuges to hide from their oppressors. In times of war, the citizens flee to the hills and huddle far beneath the ground, safe until the fighting ends. Entire cities have been built in the larger cave systems to house the refugees. When the war ends and the people return home, they call it "rocking out".”
- —Lylat Datalink; Corneria Rocks pg 31
Cornerians, are the inhabitants and citizens of Corneria, as well as the Lylat System in general, while some also inhabit other valued territories within claim of the Cornerian Federation, such as Katina and Fichina, as well as the smaller world of Papetoon. Cornerian people seem to be mainly canines, but since around 85% of the Lylat System's population originates from this planet, there is no specific single dominating race.
Society and Culture
The people of Corneria are generally peaceful and would rather avoid fierce conflict than suffer casualties, unfortunately, this makes them easy targets for malevolant forces such as Andross's Empire. They mainly live in the highly advanced Corneria City, retreating to seek refuge within the mountains when the planet comes under attack.
Although Corneria is the "mother" planet of the Lylat System, the Cornerian people have expanded their domain and also laid claim to the nearby planets Katina and Fichina, constructing military bases and research settlements, with the intent to create secondary and tertiary homeworlds from them. Despite being on the edges of the entire Lylat System, Papetoon is also known to be under Cornerian management, while the more primitive planet Sauria was regarded as a valuable ally, following the expedition to prevent it from apparent destruction. Being a planet with an enormous supply of raw minerals, Macbeth was once colonised by many Cornerian businessmen, miners and scientists intending to make great wealth from the local resources, only for Andross's imperial forces to invade and enslave the planet for the Emperor's own gain.
The various technologies of this planet, which are developed by the Cornerians themselves, are highly advanced, compared to real world counterparts, highly developed spacecraft, weapons, communication channels, and other designs that far outdate that of some planets, like the more primal and savage inhabitants of the neighbouring planet Sauria, while some planetary research has concluded the previous existence of more primitive societies that once lived on Aquas and Titania, and scientists from Corneria's University have reason to believe that even the far away world of Venom was once thought to have been home to a highly advanced race.
- Wolf O'Donnell, being a canine, was most likely born on Corneria due to his history with James McCloud.
- Peppy Hare, his wife, Vivian Hare, and their daughter Lucy Hare belong to this planet as they are lifelong friends of the McCloud family.
- General Pepper, commander in chief of Corneria's military forces, is a Hound, a famous breed of dog.
- Andross, former top Primate scientist of the Cornerian Army, originated from Corneria until his banishment to Venom for performing dangerous, illegal experiments (a reason for banishment would be that the Cornerians are peaceful and an execution would make Pepper no better than Andross).
- Falco Lombardi's past is shrouded in mystery. Therefore, his homeworld is unclear, whether or not he belongs to Corneria or Zoness (as he showed sympathy for both of their states during the Lylat Wars).
Notable Affliations and Companies
- The Star Fox team were founded on this planet by James McCloud, Peppy Hare, and Pigma Dengar.
- The Cornerian Army, which mostly made up of Dogs known as Dog Soldiers, who are led by General Pepper. Dash Bowman, grandson of Andross, is a pilot in this army. Bill Grey is a commander of the Husky and Bulldog Squadrons. The Cornerian Defense Force acts as police and law enforcement around the planet.
- Space Dynamics Co Ltd., a company which is famous for its creations of spacecraft and weapons, headed by president Yaru de Pon and director of engineering Beltino Toad.
- The Cornerian Flight Academy, many of its graduates become involved with the above fractions and causes. A Cornerian University is known to exist, where scientists believe that the legendary lost space tribe of Cornerus originated from Venom.
- Corneria Precious Metals Ltd. is a deep space mining company managed by president Grippy Toad.
- In both the Lylatian history backstory entry in the original game's instruction booklet, as well as the Nintendo Power Comic series, Dr. Andross's backstory involves the decisions of the Cornerian ruling council who decreed that he should be exiled from the planet after he ignored their warnings about the consequences of his dangerous research. In "Assault", they are known as the Cornerian Federation, whose best scientists flocked to the Orbital Gate's science labs to work on the anti-Aparoid program bomb, under direction from the research director Beltino Toad.
- NINTENDO POWER Star Fox 64: Official Nintendo Player's Guide. Redmond, WA, Nintendo of America. 1997.
|Cornerian Army||Bill Grey • Captain Shears • Dash Bowman • Dog Soldiers • General Pepper • James McCloud • Krystal • Peppy Hare|
|Inhabitants||Beltino Toad • Grippy Toad • Vivian Hare • Vixy Reinard • Yaru de Pon|
|Companies||Bulldog Squadron • Cornerian Academy • Cornerian Defense Force • Corneria Precious Metals Ltd. • Free-As-A-Bird • G-Zero Grand Prix • Husky Squadron • Space Dynamics • Star Falco • Star Fox|
|Vehicles||Cornerian Assault Carrier • Cornerian Fighter • II • Cornerian Flagship • Cornerian Fleet • Cornerian Transport • General's flagship • Monkey Arrow • Pleiades-class Cruiser|
|Technology||AegisCam • Radar Sites Re-block • RE:BOT • Self-destruct program • Sentry Bot|
|Bases||Area 3 • Climate control center • Corneria City • Fichina Base • Katina Frontline Base • Katina Outpost • Orbital Gate|