- “I see you took the liberty of hacking into our data. It's a shame really… SINCE YOU WON'T LIVE TO TELL ABOUT IT!”
- —Captain Shears
Captain Shears is a character and the main antagonist of the manga Farewell, Beloved Falco.
Captain Shears first seemed to be what was expected of an officer, being polite. However, beneath this exterior, he was an insane psychopath, as evidenced from the above quote when he reveals himself to Fox and Slippy when they see Andross's revival chamber. Shears also had an appreciation for his progress on reviving Andross claiming: "Do you like him? I'm rather proud of him, myself." These traits are presumably due to being a loyal follower of Andross, even having a portrait of the Emperor in his office, next to a pair of duelling swords. He was skilled in swordplay fencing, evident in his duel with Fox.
A captain in the Cornerian Army, Shears is the ranking military officer on the Cornerian base on the planet Titania, where the planet's ancient ruins have been studied by his base since the end of the Lylat Wars. He agrees to help Star Fox track down Falco Lombardi in exchange for helping him deal with a small remainder of Androssian troops who are allegedly using Titania to develop new weapons.
As it turns out, the band of individuals supposedly belonging to Andross's army was actually Katt Monroe and her crew, who had stolen top-secret information about research being done on the base. Shears was actually attempting to clone Andross, and mislead Star Fox into believing that Katt's gang were leftovers from Andross' army to prevent the information from getting out. Peppy Hare began to get wary of Shears after realizing that his base was unnaturally quiet for supposedly being in danger, sending Slippy out in a Landmaster to investigate while Fox's Arwing underwent repairs.
Meanwhile, after it became apparent that Star Fox hadn't stopped them, Shears deployed the Goras in order to claim a hostage to force them to surrender. In addition, Shears started getting concerned about them having discovered what was on the files they stole and wondering if they were strong enough to do something about it. Ironically, the hostage turned out to be Slippy Toad (who was sent to scout ahead in case Shears had any ulterior motives), who had bad memories of the creature. During a raid made by Fox and the Hot Rodders, Shears cornered Fox and Slippy in the bio-engineering laboratory by riding on his armored boar and engaged Fox in a sword duel. After losing a duel with Fox, Shears nearly escapes on his boar, but is presumably crushed to death by the giant Andross clone he had created.
- Some of Shears' actions, including acting as a mole for the main bad guy, his constantly wearing shades, his trying to create (or revive, in this case) a grave threat via biomechanical means, and later presumably ending up killed by said threat shortly after being exposed as the mole, resembles that of the Resident Evil villain Albert Wesker from the first game. His revealing himself as a traitor even resembles how Wesker revealed himself as the mole in S.T.A.R.S. in the first Resident Evil to either Chris Redfield or Jill Valentine, even in a similar environment.
- Coincidentally, both Shears and Wesker had the rank of "captain."
- Captain Shears may also be another Beatles reference to Billy Shears in the songs "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and "With a Little Help From My Friends", as the shades he wears are reminiscent of John Lennon's sunglasses.
- Captain Shears' facial features bare a resemblance to the design of General Pepper in Star Fox 2. Their clothing is different, however.
|Cornerian Army||Bill Grey • Captain Shears • Dash Bowman • Dog Soldiers • General Pepper • James McCloud • Krystal • Peppy Hare|
|Inhabitants||Beltino Toad • Grippy Toad • Vivian Hare • Vixy Reinard • Yaru de Pon|
|Companies||Bulldog Squadron • Cornerian Academy • Cornerian Defense Force • Corneria Precious Metals Ltd. • Free-As-A-Bird • G-Zero Grand Prix • Husky Squadron • Space Dynamics • Star Falco • Star Fox|
|Vehicles||Cornerian Assault Carrier • Cornerian Fighter • II • Cornerian Flagship • Cornerian Fleet • Cornerian Transport • General's flagship • Monkey Arrow • Pleiades-class Cruiser|
|Technology||AegisCam • Radar Sites Re-block • RE:BOT • Self-destruct program • Sentry Bot|
|Bases||Area 3 • Climate control center • Corneria City • Fichina Base • Katina Frontline Base • Katina Outpost • Orbital Gate|