- “He’s quick! Be careful.”
- —Peppy Hare
The Borzoi Fighters were next-generation robotic starfighters created for the armies of Andross during the Lylat Wars, seen only in the space zone of Sector X.
Vaguely resembling spiders, Borzoi fighters had well above average manueverability, having a significantly more sophisticated attack program than their "cousins", the Canines. Unlike the Bolse Fighters, these ships were not quite as fast and lacked the personal generated shields.
- “Whereas Canines tend to form a single line and fly straight at you, these next-generation robotic fighters have a much more sophisticated attack program. Alone or in a group, Borzoi Fighters fly around at a high speed, pausing for only a second to fire before it speeds off again.”
- —Official Nintendo Power Player's Guide, pg 45
- “At the beginning of the mission, you'll encounter waves of enemy fighters. Save up bombs for this mission and let em have it. After the Checkpoint, the course will fork to the left and right. Take the right path since there are more enemies that way. Later in the mission, you'll have to make your bombs count. Lock on to an enemy and wait until he approaches a squadron of others so you can blast them all with the bomb.”
- —Star Fox 64.com
In the games
Star Fox 64/3D
Cornerian spies had reported that Andross was developing a star base in Sector X, but remote sensors only detected a huge field of space debris. It is unclear if Andross's base construction project had been destroyed by some kind of accident, or if this was part of his plan. It could also have been a trap. The Borzoi fighters were used in the defense of the secret research base in Sector X, though they were unable to prevent the rampage of Spyborg from destroying the facility or Fox McCloud's intrusion.
Star Fox Zero
Borzois reappear in Star Fox Zero under the name: Bionics II.
- NINTENDO POWER Star Fox 64: Official Nintendo Player's Guide. Redmond, WA, Nintendo of America. 1997.