- “...All for us... all things in the universe... will be ours... [...] All for us... everything in this universe exists for us... Bow before us! Submit to us!”
- —Aparoid Queen
The Aparoid Queen is the leader, hive mother and producer of the entire Aparoid race, which are primarily made up of the immense assault force, hence her name. She serves as both the main antagonist and the final boss of "Assault". The Aparoid Queen was killed by the anti-Aparoid bomb created by Beltino Toad and the Cornerian federation scientists after being weakened by the Star Fox Team.
Physical Apperance and Characteristics
The Queen herself is a titan Aparoid, the largest type ever known, possessing a physical structure reminiscent of ant or bee queens, dwelling within the center caves and tunnels of the homeworld, protected by a powerful shield. An undeniably intelligent and powerful being, she controls every single mind slaved to the Aparoids, able to access memories, abilities, even machinery with utmost ease for her own dark uses. Within her honeycombed cavern, the Queen is the "source of all Aparoid will", reproducing swarms of drones to spread out across the Lylat System to assimilate lifeforms and relay information back to her.
As proof of bypassing evolution, the Queen adapts various forms to survive. During the final battle in the tunnels of the Aparoid Homeworld, the queen occasionally "speaks." (In her second form.) However, she does not use a comm-link at any point of the battle. This makes her the only speakable boss to not use a Communications Channel to speak (although she does briefly use the comm-link immediately prior to the second battle when about to escape).
Based on her statements, the Queen seemed to genuinely believe that she and her race were the ultimate existence, as well as "truth," giving her a god complex.
The true Aparoid origins are unknown, yet records indicate that the first Aparoid sightings were around seventeen years prior to their invasion, with a single Aparoid destroying an entire Cornerian fleet single handed. Only by studying a complete Core Memory were the Cornerians able to learn of the Queen's existence, suspecting that the Aparoids would not die out permanently as long as the Queen still lived. After the annihilation of Corneria City, Beltino Toad and the federation scientists had orchestrated a strategy to use the Apoptosis ability of the Aparoids as a weakness to end their race, by preparing an exclusive Self-destruction program to fire into the Queen herself, thus destroying her and all her brethren in one blow.
After penetrating the Aparoid Homeworld's defences and navigating through the Homeworld Core, the Star Fox Team discovered the Queen, inside the core of the Aparoid Homeworld. Trying to deceive the Arwing quartet, she spoke to them by using several likenesses from being that her spawn had previously assimilated, such as Pigma Dengar, General Pepper, Peppy Hare, ROB 64, and even James McCloud, Fox's father. Thinking quickly from Wolf O'Donnell's advice, Fox McCloud gave the order to attack and the four Arwings began the final battle, blasting away her scaly shielding until her core was exposed, and allowed Fox to fire the Self-destruct program into her.
However, the Queen began suppressing the program, briefly resolving by ordering Star Fox to surrender to her, and started escaping to create an antibody to the program. However, the Star Fox Team followed the Queen, blasting her pink "eyes", then hitting her hidden eye, eventually destroying her outer body and then afterwards confronting her core form. As her outer body was being destroyed, she begged Star Fox to spare her due to the Aparoids being "truth," but to no avail, with Fox referring to it as an "evil space hag" when confronting its core form. After Fox and his friends damaged her core form, the Queen screamed as her strength was exhausted and her weakness allowed the program to work, setting off a chain reaction to annihilate every Aparoid in existence, releasing all the infected parties from their grasp resulting the extinction of the Aparoids and killing the Queen in the process. According to Fox after the battle, she apparently desired to control the universe in an attempt to bypass evolution, as she was allegedly not born with a soul.
The Aparoid Queen was voiced by Alésia Glidewell, sounding and acting similar to the hostile computer AI GLaDOS from the video game Portal in that both are said to be female, are some form of a computer, and a very powerful force to be reckoned with. However, it should be noted that the Aparoid Queen predates GLaDOS by two years (Star Fox: Assault was released in 2005, while Portal was released in 2007). Coincidentally, the Queen's voice actor, Alesia Glidewell, was the face and model for Portal's protagonist Chell.
- The Aparoid Queen is hinted to be speaking through Pigma when he says "We are the ultimate existence."
- The Aparoid Queen imitates those the aparoids assimilated, whether or not they survived. However, James McCloud was presumed killed by Andross before the Aparoid invasion, and the Aparoids are not known to have came near his body. How she was able to imitate him is unknown, though she could have been using the memories of Peppy, ROB, General Pepper, and Pigma. Even though she produces swarms of drones and leaders to spread out across the Lylat System to assimilate lifeforms and relay information back to her, it's possible that one of the Aparoids got information about James McCloud from one of the infected, as well as using information from the things she's absorbed, supporting this theory.
- It may be presumed that the Aparoid Queen is actually the same Aparoid that destroyed the Cornerian Fleet seventeen years prior to the game, considering the time gap and its significance to both the plot and the race's survival.
- This is further supported by the fact that the Queen's first form, when her armor is removed, strongly resembles the Winged Aparoid depicted in the image (which was also the same type as the one fought on Fortuna).
- Although she is referred to as a female, and Falco supposedly erroneously stating that the Queen is a male by saying: ("Watch out everyone! He's up to something!"), she may not actually be male or female, but a hermaphrodite considering that she is capable of self-reproduction.
Names in Other Languages
|Japanese||(アパロイドマザー, aparoidomazā, aparoid mother)|
|Leaders||Winged Aparoid | Aparoid Ship | Cylindrical Aparoid | Aparoid Missile | Aparoid Queen|
|Air Force||Aparoid Flyer | Beetle Aparoid | Mothlike Aparoid | Aparoid Assault Ship | Radar jammer | Aparoid Spinner | Kamikaze Aparoid | Morphing Ship Aparoid | Crystalline Aparoid | Stringy Aparoid | Bloated Aparoid | Glowing Sac Aparoid | Tri-winged Aparoid | Y-shape Aparoid | Electric Sphere Aparoid|
|Ground Force||Aparoid Crawler | Aparoid Minitank | Purple Aparoid | Aparoid Hatcher | Spherical Tank Aparoid | Aparoid Roller | Aparoid Targeting Laser | Aparoid Gunner | Anti-aircraft Aparoid | Aparoid Growth | Force Field Generator Aparoid | Aparoid Turret | Blue Orb Aparoid | Swirling Aparoid | Silver Aparoid | Aparoid Larvae|
|Others||Sentry Bot | General's flagship | Core Memory|